My First Quilt – Part 6: Finished! Finally.
Well she’s all done.
I had originally picked out a white-on-black spot for my binding, but after choosing the printed backing, rather than the pieced back with solids I was planning, it was all a bit too busy. Instead I went with a solid black binding to frame the quilt. There’s no way I could have settled on a single colour and I think the binding also ties in the bits of black from the backing.
I’m so happy with how the spiral quilting turned out. The free motion part in the middle is a bit wonky, but that just adds character, right?
The print on the back has worked so well in balancing the front, the circles and squares are a great contrast and while the colours are all brights I found the top seemed to be more cool colours, where as the back is beautiful and warm.
I also decided to hand embroider the label for this quilt. I just couldn’t find a great pen/marker/printing solution that looked like it would work and remain legible through a (hopefully) long life. I was reading a lot of blog posts about labeling quilts and checking out different labels on Flickr so decided I wanted to make this a good one and spent that bit of extra time creating my label.
So there you have it, my first quilt, finished by the end of the year which was my goal. If you missed in one of the earlier posts, this quilt is based on Snapshots by Elizabeth Hartman from her book The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker.
I’ve made a small baby quilt since, and have also started on my next bigger quilt project.