Well, it’s not a whole room, but I do have some room now.
That’s our breakfast/dinner table for about an hour a day, and my sewing machine (a Brother NS50) has been sitting up the far end for some time now, but it was surrounded by my sewing “stuff” that tended to get in the way. There were more books, magazines and fabric spread over the shelves, coffee table and lounge. Seemed like a good enough reason for a trip to IKEA!
Enter some new shelves and clear tubs and everything is all in the one place. Looks a little more permanent to me, and now there’s room on my cutting/sewing/pressing table for cutting, sewing and pressing. My favourite part is having my iPad up there next to me, makes it so much easier when following online tutorials.
It probably wont be this organised for very long but at least I have a photo of how it looked in the beginning. Lucky for me I have another set of those shelves (still flat packed) in the garage and the table can extend to if things get out of hand.
I wanted to make this pin cushion for a friend’s birthday present to go with her new sewing machine. I had just enough fabric of each of the green and purple scraps to make two, so why not! They came together in an hour or so.
Each cushion needs two squares of fabric, a bit of stuffing, some ribbon and a couple of buttons (these ones were from my stash of spares that come with new clothes – Ben Sherman & Esprit).
For anyone who’s interested, I loosely followed these instructions for a Bric-a-brac Pincushion. Next time I’m going to try this Classic Pincushion – love the fussy cutting of the green pattern.
I spied these cuties at the Sydney Craft & Quilt Fair back in June last year but made myself walk away at the time. While buying supplies for another softie pattern (for a more complicated creature I’ll introduce soon) from Kelani Fabric I came across the fabric panels by Saffron Craig again and had to get them as a warm up project.
It’s as easy as cut the front and back out, pin right sides together, sew around leaving a small gap, turn inside out, fill with stuffing, sew up the gap – you could probably do it in an hour so why it took me a good month or more to make I don’t know.
There are two videos on Saffron Craig’s website which show her making her softies which got me as far as cutting, sewing & stuffing. It wasn’t until I read this blog post on Chasing Cottons and saw photos of another softie being stuffed and sewn up by cute little girl hands that I got over my fear of “what if I don’t do it properly?” and finished them off.
A couple of tips I would add to those already out there, some which I figured out while making my kitties and some that I worked out after and would consider next time…
- To minimise the amount of white showing around the seams, when pinning the front and back together hold them up to a light source so you can see where the outlines are, and check from both sides.
- If there are lines that match up like the collars on these kitties, use those as reference points to match up as well.
- Stuff them heaps! Leave a bit of room when you’re ready to sew up the gap, I found it helped to have a bit of room when initially turning in those seams to match up. Sew it up a bit so you can still fit a finger or pen/pencil through the gap comfortably and add some more stuffing then finish closing it up.
Or you can just ignore all that, slap them together and they’ll still be just as cute the way you make them.